- J.D., Northern Illinois University College of Law
- PhD, Materials Science, Ohio State University
- M.S., Metallurgical Engineering, Ohio State University
- B.S., Metallurgical Engineering, Ohio State University
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Mark Harper, PhD
Intellectual Property Attorney
Mark is an intellectual property attorney specializing in patent drafting and prosecution for clients in the materials science field and technologies related to metallurgy, welding, pigments, electronic materials, optical fibers and sheet glass. He assists clients by working closely with inventors and in-house counsel to ensure patent protection is obtained for commercial products and potential product design-arounds. He also has extensive experience with invalidity and noninfringement opinions.
After working as a certified welder, Mark earned a bachelors and masters degree in metallurgical engineering, and a doctorate degree in materials science, at the Ohio State University. He followed his doctorate degree with a Fulbright Fellowship in Sydney, Australia. Upon returning to the United States, he worked in the nickel alloy industry for ten years developing and testing high temperature alloys before returning to school and earning his law degree at Northern Illinois University.
- Before joining Burris Law, Mark was a partner with a national law firm serving clients in the steel, automotive and glass industries. Several patent applications he drafted and successfully prosecuted through the U.S. Patent Office have provided, and continue to provide, protection for high profile – high value commercial products developed by Fortune 500 companies and Universities.