- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Oakland University (2014)
- J.D., Michigan State University College of Law (2017)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- State Bar of Michigan
Intellectual Property Attorney
Patent attorney George Patsarikas enjoys getting to know inventors as much as he enjoys learning about new inventions. He understands that people are at the heart of innovation, which is why he prioritizes frequent interactions with his clients. He forges deep relationships with inventors and legal teams, both of whom instill their trust in George to protect their intellectual property, reduce risk and identify revenue-generating opportunities.
George’s focus is on patent preparation and prosecution. His education in electrical engineering differentiates him from the many patent attorneys with mechanical engineering backgrounds. He applies this unique knowledge to provide counsel on inventions related to electrical arts and computer-implemented technologies. His experience is extensive and includes work with patents related to automotive control systems, software, machine-learning and artificial intelligence systems, electrical hardware, semiconductors, semiconductor processing systems, and communication systems. George represents all types of clients, both foreign and domestic, including Fortune 500 companies, universities and individual inventors. No matter the size of the organization, George makes it a point to understand his clients’ businesses and work toward their “big picture” goals.
In addition to patent preparation and prosecution, George provides a variety of other patent-related services.
- He prepares patentability opinions for new inventions to analyze the scope of related prior art and to develop an optimal patent preparation and prosecution strategy.
- He works with inventors to harvest additional inventions for new patentable technologies.
- To help protect his clients, he conducts clearance searches for his clients to ensure that their products do not infringe an existing patent.
- He prepares state-of-the-art opinions across various technological areas to help inform his clients where they should concentrate their inventive activities.
- He prepares opinions regarding patent validity and patent infringement based on competitor technologies.
George was included in the 2023 edition of the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America™ for his work in Intellectual Property Law.
A son of Greek immigrants, George’s parents operated a Detroit diner for more than 30 years. He learned the importance of quality client service in his youth when he worked for his family business.
“As IP lawyers, there’s a human element to our work that we often neglect,” says George. “Growing up in the restaurant service industry, I learned that each client has different needs, expectations and preferences that require a substantial commitment to deeply understand. I make it a point to get to know my clients personally so that I can develop a patent portfolio that is consistent with their wants and exceeds their expectations.”
George is an avid sports fan, and when he’s not in the office, he enjoys golf, soccer, basketball and fishing. He also values the time he gets to spend with his friends and family. George is a member of the Hellenic Bar Association of Michigan.
George gained real-world engineering experience as an intern at a tier-one automotive supplier during his undergraduate program. Prior to joining Burris Law, he spent over four years as a patent practitioner with a national intellectual property firm and an AmLaw 200 firm.